Comune di Pozzuolo Martesana
frazione di Trecella
The Secco d'Aragona Courtyard and the Church of Sant'Anna
In Piazza San Marco is the entrance to the historic Secco d’Aragona courtyard. This family’s noble residence housed a Spanish garrison tasked with defending the local fief, whose territory extended as far as the banks of the Adda River, at the time marking the border with the Venetian Republic.
The cavalry stables stretched to the area in front of the church of San Lazzaro. Remnants of the Spanish walls are still visible, testifying a long-lasting military presence in this area.
THE CHURCH OF SANT’ANNA
Close to the courtyard, on the property of the Secco d’Aragona family, stands the Church of Sant’Anna, built in 1690 on a design by architect Giovanni Battista Quadrio. Giulio Cesare Secco d’Aragona, a captain in the service of the King of Spain, was married to Anna Monti, a wealthy heiress. It was by her will that the oratory dedicated to Sant’Anna was built.
When the noblewoman died, all of her possessions were donated to the Ospedale Maggiore in Milan, as attested by a memorial plaque hanging on the right wall of the church. The plaque reads:
“…also for the belongings of Lady Anna Monti, his wife…”
The church has two entrances: the main entrance opens onto Piazza San Marco, while a side entrance connects it directly to the inner courtyard. This door once allowed the family members to reach the church without leaving their property.
The church has an octagonal plan and a single nave. Above the altar, it features a valuable 17th century painting of Saint Anne with young Virgin Mary. attributed to the Lombardy school. Another canvas of Virgin Mary with two cherubs, originally placed above the entrance to the sacristy, was later moved to the main altar of the Parish Church of San Marco.
TRECELLA ITINERARY
Share
View larger map
Open list of points on map
Choose a point of interest
Start directions
Add your location





























